Truck drivers for companies are often in a contractual agreement, resulting in poor compensation packages despite high income. The situation morphed into it because of the following reasons:
- The work is hazardous. Truck drivers often have to drive for long hours on the open road, and they can get injured in an accident.
- The trucking industry is very competitive, and companies are always looking for ways to save money. Offering a lower salary to truck drivers is one way to do that.
- Truck drivers are often independent contractors, so they don’t get the same benefits as regular employees. It includes things like health insurance and retirement savings plans.
As a result, many truck drivers make less than they would if they worked for a regular company. However, the responsibility is so valuable that it’s crucial to find ways to protect your truck drivers. Here are a few things you can do.
Latest Fleet Software and Programs
The primary responsibilities of a truck driver for a company are to deliver goods and products to customers in a timely and efficient manner. They must also follow all safety regulations to ensure the safety of themselves and others on the road. In addition, truck drivers may have to perform essential maintenance on their vehicles, such as checking fluid levels and tire pressure.
All of those responsibilities fall under the truck driver’s burden, but it doesn’t mean all companies have to do is provide the trucks and goods. Businesses must invest in tools to ensure that the driver’s responsibilities on the road are more straightforward, allowing them to focus on delivering their jobs safely and efficiently.
Companies must use the latest fleet software to manage drivers, hours, and routes. Those programs allow businesses to stay on top of their safety and comply with regulations. Some of the software include:
- Hours of Service software: This software electronically records the hours a driver is on duty and their off-duty and sleeper berth times. It helps ensure that drivers are not working too many hours, leading to fatigue and accidents.
- Vehicle Maintenance software: This software helps businesses track when their vehicles need maintenance and keeps them up-to-date on recalls. It can also remind drivers to perform basic maintenance tasks, such as checking fluid levels and tire pressure.
- GPS tracking: This technology allows businesses to track their vehicles in real-time to see where they are. It’s useful for dispatchers, who can assist if a driver gets lost or has an accident.
- Fleet management software: This software helps businesses manage their fleet of vehicles, including trucks. It can track the location of vehicles, mileage, and maintenance records.
By using these programs and technologies, businesses can protect their truck drivers by ensuring that they are well-rested, have up-to-date vehicles, and are on the correct route.
If a truck driver for your company gets stranded on the side of the road, it’s imperative to have an immediate response plan in place. That means having someone available to help get the driver back on the road as soon as possible.
There are a few things you can do to help make that happen. First, invest in remote assistance technology. Remote assistance allows businesses to connect with their drivers in real-time to help troubleshoot any issues. If there’s an issue with the truck, the remote assistance team can help get it fixed quickly.
Second, have a backup plan in place. That means having another driver available to take over if the original driver gets stranded. You should also have a list of drivers known to cover routes in an emergency.
A quick-response plan can help keep your truck drivers safe and on schedule. Some are even taking advantage of predictive tools to ensure no vehicle will get deployed with maintenance and repair issues.
When an accident occurs while a truck driver is on the job, it’s crucial to have a legal team to help protect the driver. The legal team can help negotiate with lawyers from the other party and provide support during any court proceedings.
The legal team is even more vital when an accident results in civilian casualties, damaged properties or goods, or lawsuits. They can help ensure that the driver is kept safe and that their rights are protected. A truck accident lawyer might be essential, especially if other parties decide to file cases on your company because of reckless driving behavior.
Setting up a legal team is vital to protect your truck drivers when accidents occur. It can help ensure that they are kept safe and that their rights are protected.
Truck drivers play a vital role in the economy, but they face many risks. Businesses must do their part to protect their drivers by investing in the latest fleet software, having a remote assistance plan in place, and setting up a legal team. Businesses can help keep their drivers safe and on the road by taking these steps.